Graphs for the hapeless fiber artist

Bowie

Hello Stitchers!

I know you haven’t heard from me since November, things at the house have been kinda crazy since my roommate has been in and out of various hospitals due to her autoimmune encephalitis. Just yesterday she got in a wreck while on the way to the ER, luckily she only had a little extra stress from the adrenaline, she and the driver were both fine. People come from all over the world to wreck their vehicles in Columbus, it’s crazy during inclement weather. We just had our first real snow fall this past week and people are just wrecking left and right. The snow sure is pretty though.

I lost my phone at a 7-11 on the way back from Christmas with my family. I do all my charts on my phone, so I borrowed my roommate’s iPad to whip These up. I should be getting an old phone from a friend this week and can not wait.

In 1999 I bought my first stereo. It cost me $20 and was a Frankenstine machine built from the rag tag parts from future owner’s deceased parent’s stereos. The best part was that it had an 8 track and those things were in every thrift store & cheap. The two I listened to the most, while pulling all weekers, were both David Bowie, Space Oddity and Young Americans (I got the images from eBay).
8Tracks
I was sad when the old worn out tapes broke, and I did replace them once or twice before I could afford a fancy new stereo with a CD player *ooooooh*.

When I heard Bowie had passed I jumped to my first line of mourning, I had to chart him. So today I have a few knit charts and a cross stitch patter based on the Aladdin Sane cover art.

I decided tried something new for the knit charts this time around, I used only Red Heart Classic Colors. I know it can be hard to finding the right colors to go with color work charts. I went with Red Heart because everyone can afford it, is easy to find, and it is acrylic for us poor souls with wool allergies.

Feel free to send me any of your finished projects, contact me about any questions or comments, and stay warm out there.

Enjoy!

-Molina

*Just click on the link below an image to download the chart from Dropbox
Bowie KnitBowie Aladdin Sane Knit

Bowie Knit SimpleBowie Aladdin Sane Simplified Knit

Bowie Knit OpenBowie Aladdin Sane Open Eyes Knit

Bowie CrossBowie Aladdin Sane Cross Stitch

18 Comments

AnneMarie Wood-ORourke says:

Hello. I’d love to attempt to create this project. Is there a color chart that comes with this so one can get the right colors for it.

F.P. Molina says:

Yes, just click on the name of the chart and it takes you to where you can download the chart. I always use DMC for cross stitch colors. Let me know how it turns out!

Allison says:

Hello! I am in love with this Bowie pattern! It was such a sad day when Bowie died. I am also a huge fan. I have a question about the pattern. I have just started crocheting this year, and I would really like to crochet this into a throw. If I single crochet this across, I don’t think the width would be wide enough for a throw. What would you suggest?

F.P. Molina says:

Thank you so much! For a throw I would probably use 4-5 long stitches, like a Tripple crochet, of each “stitch”. The knit/crochet patterns are in 5×6 stitch size, so a little longer than a square. Of course make a dreaded test square to see what stitches work out properly for your tension/hook/yarn size. Let me know how it turns out, and enjoy!

Jennifer Kwilos says:

Hello-
I just finished the cross stitch pattern. I had to do it as soon as I saw it on Pinterest! I substituted some colors for ones I already had in my floss stash. Thanks for posting!

F.P. Molina says:

Aww, thank you, I’m glad you enjoy it! I’d love to see it :)

Alex says:

Cool pattern – thanks for putting it up. I just finished it last night. My first time cross stitching!

F.P. Molina says:

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it :)

Ria Wentink says:

I am intending to make above David Bowie pattern.
With DMC.
Could you give me the right colours please,so that
it can work out beautifully.
When I am finished, I would like to send you a photo.
Best regards from Holland, Ria

F.P. Molina says:

Hello Ria, thank you for stopping by and liking me pattern. All of my charts are in DMC colors, just click on the name and it will take you to Dropbox to download. I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to seeing it finished :)

Tessa says:

How did you make this patter. I’ve recently just finished this one up but I’d really like to make my own stuff

F.P. Molina says:

I use a charting app on my phone called StitchSketch. It can be hard to learn but ultimately worth it if you are charting without just using an algorithm from a photo.

Melissa says:

You are amazing. Bowie was such a huge influence on so many people. Thank you for putting this out there. I have two or three people that I know will love something made from this. I don’t know when I will have a chance to make them, but I so appreciate the fact that you have both the cross stitch and knit versions.

F.P. Molina says:

He was a great hero to us “weirdos” and always will be! I’m glad you enjoy them. If you ever make anything let me know how it turns out :)

Molina

Sasha says:

Hi this is a great idea :) would you have a patteren that I could do a quilt with ?
Thx

F.P. Molina says:

You could certainly do a quilt with and of the cross stitch charts, you would just have to gauge your square size on how big you want the quilt, if you are thinking about doing a pieced quilt, like a postage stamp quilt. I think appliqué could work well to show depth, depending on the design.

Jet says:

I just came across this on Pinterest. I miss him so, was my first true rock star crush in 1970 when TMWSTW came out (don’t think I was yet 11!) It took me a very long time to come to grips with his death, then came back when my mum died mid-June this year. (She always called me her Bowie, saw what I was too blind to see.) Sunday would’ve been her birthday, I’m missing her so very much. Today is my birthday and this cheered me so very much! I know exactly what I’m going to do… I’m making (for ages) a patchwork sweater coat I copied from an Alexander McQueen design a few years back (hell no I’m paying 3K for a bunch of knitted together patches!) This will be either a centrepiece design on the back or might make a bunch in different sizes to add at random! I’m using chunky wool, but think I can figure how to work out the pattern as gauge doesn’t really matter since all the patches are different sizes, colours, gushes, stitches (my touch). Thank you so much for sharing this with those who love him, miss him, very kind of you! Will post on IG when I get one done! (I’m @PunkGlamQueen) Much Love, Happy Yuletide season! 😘💕💚🦇⚡️jet

F.P. Molina says:

I am soooo glad I could give your birthday a little Bowie love! I can’t wait to see the finished piece 😃🎁👨🏻‍🎤🤟🏼❤️

Pings and Trackbacks (2 )