Graphs for the hapeless fiber artist

Turtle Power!

20140708-225435-82475949.jpg

Hello my stitchers! When I was in Middle and High School (in the mid 90s) my brother and I would race home to watch The Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles .

20140709-005241-3161847.jpg
Yes we were raised nerd. It was important to get home in time to see the second episode. It was also important to beat each other home so we could get the good seat, the one that let you control the tv. We only had one tv and no remote. There were a few physical altercations that occurred over this, and several bruises. The chair was serious business. We even ran home on Fridays, knowing perfectly well that it was going to be a rerun. If we had a DVR, life would have been way more productive.

Today I bring to you a hand full of charts, all knitting, of our beloved half shelled friends. The individuals are in 3 different sizes so you can make pillows or pot holders or whatever crazy projects you can think of adding them to. I even threw in the outlines in case you wanted to just knit & purl or fill in your own colors.

I have been rather busy lately with life, so July might be a slow month for posts and then again every time I say that I make a slew of them in a row.

As always please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, requests, good puns, or corrupted links.

Enjoy!

20140708-222747-80867309.jpg
Leonardo Knit Small
Leonardo Knit Small Outline

20140708-225049-82249007.jpg
TMNT Knit

IMG_2871.JPG
I found this sweater someone made using one of my charts. pretty awesome I think.

50 Comments

Cathy Rundgren says:

Hi Molina,
I love your patterns for the ninja turtle. I have two young grandsons that like the ninja turtles. I just made them each a hat of ninja turtle. I printed off your charts to do a blanket. I just hope I got the right ones I need. Are they all knitting squares? Or can I crochet them? I was wondering how many stitches to cast on? I didn’t know if you would be willing to share that with me. Please? I would like to make them a blanket for a Christmas present this year. I been looking all over the internet but didn’t have much luck. I did find one on Ravalery, but it was double knitting . I think that’s what it was called and I don’t know how to do that. I would love to learn how to do it. Then I came across the sight Knitting Paradise. I went on that and looked for a ninja turtle afghan and that’s how I found your site. Thank you so much for sharing it. But I don’t know many stitches I need to get started. I hope I hear back from you real soon so I can get started. Christmas isn’t too far away. I would like to get them done in time. Thanks for your time and your site. I will wait to hear back from you.

Take Care,
Cathy

Hello Cathy!
I’m glad you like the charts!
The charts are set up for a 5×6 ratio. That means that 5 stitches across by 6 stitches high will make a square. Depending on what stitch/gage needle/size yarn, will change how many stitches you will have per row/column. You should be able to use these patterns with a single crochet or yarn over single crochet. Just make a 5 or six inch square and count the stitches. You will probably have to work the chart from side to side instead of bottom to top, since knitting stitches tend to be more squat than crochet. I hope that makes sence!

Krystle says:

I love this. Thank you! My son is going to flip when it’s done!

F.P. Molina says:

Glad to make the kids happy! Let me know how it turns out :)

Krystle says:

He loves it! This is the best pattern ever. Thank you again!

F.P. Molina says:

Yay! I’d love to see a picture of it! Feel free to email me YourFPMolina@gmail.com

Krystle says:

Sent :)

nicoleen says:

I am struggling to download a pattern for a jersey for my grandson. Pls help

F.P. Molina says:

If you go to the hyperlink under the photo, it will take you to a Dropbox page. Click the download button & it should download. Let me know if you are still having problems

nicoleen says:

Still no luck. I don’t find a hyperlink to press on my phone. Must be outdated. Help. Pls.

F.P. Molina says:

Oops, sorry I just saw your reply! The name of the chart is the hyperlink. If you are still having trouble, email me fpmolina@ yahoo.com and let me know which chart you would like & I can sent you the link

Trayo Carlson says:

This is my first time knitting since I was a teen, and would really like to make this for my oldest son. However with this pattern would it be best to focus on one turtle at a time, sowing or crocheting them together later.

F.P. Molina says:

I would suggest doing one turtle at a time, much easier to catch and fix mistakes that way. Then join them with a darning needle when you are done.

Dee Ramos says:

Hello, I am fairly new at knitting. I would like to know what each V symbol means on the chart? I love this pattern and I am very excited to try it. What size needle do you recommend?

F.P. Molina says:

First off, thank you for reading my blog!
The V stmbols are just a representation of knit stitches. The actual charts are marked with colors and symbols. As far as what size needle to use, it varies on your yarn and by how you personally stitch. If you visit my FAQ page there is a section on how to read a chart that also has a link about making swatches to help you pick yarn and needle sizes. Hope that helps!

Nancy Nowell says:

This TMNT graph is it a free pattern or is there A PRICE FOR IT. i AM WANTING TO DO A GRAPHAGANH FOR MY GRANDSONS. I have pc stitch but not sure if I can or how to use it. Thanks for your help.

F.P. Molina says:

All of my charts are free PDF Downloads, as long as you use them for personal use! There is some help on reading the charts on my FAQ page. If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask!

Claudia says:

May i get this tmnt graph?

F.P. Molina says:

Just click on the link below it to download!

Nicole says:

I want to make my grandson a blanket with the 4 heads by crochet but I need to be able to count the boxes and as it is it will be really small. Can you maybe email the pattern in full size? If I have to pay that’s fine but this one seems more simple then others I’ve seen.

F.P. Molina says:

Hello, sorry it took so long to reply. The chart is actually in PDF form so you should be able to enlarge the size in your printer settings and print it out on multiple pages. If you can’t get that to work, email me at fpmolina@yahoo.com

Linda Moum says:

Hello. Thank you for charing these charts!! :) My nephew became so happy when he got the sweater i knitted to him using one of youre charts. It’s the sweater you linked to. Regards from Norway.

F.P. Molina says:

Thank You for making such a fantastic sweater out of one of my charts! I love it. I showed it to everyone :)

bonnie sly says:

Hi, these tmnt charts are sooooo awesome!!
I have a question for you. I know how to knit,crochet,cross stitch and tunisian stitch but understand how to do the black outline for either knit or tunisian stitch. I’m not explaining this well. What I’m not getting is if there is like 2 black stitches (outline) then none for a while do you cut the black and then start it again? Thanks,,Bonnie

F.P. Molina says:

Hello, I’m glad you stopped by and thank you! On patterns like this, using a “stranded stitch” method. This website explains both stranded and intarsia for knitting http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/107-articles/1857-stringing-along. Stranded is also the way to go when doing Tunisian as well.
I hope that helps!

natia says:

Can this be cross stitched also

F.P. Molina says:

Technically you can, but the image will be distorted because of the stitch size difference. These stitches are 5×6 per square inch, instead of being square. I’m quite behind on my requested charts, but I do plan on translating them to cross stitch at some point

Theresa Logan says:

I cross stitch the turtles from your charts for my grandsons.
They look great
Wish I could send you a picture of them.
If you write back, maybe I could
Theresa

F.P. Molina says:

I haven’t heard of anyone cross stitching them, thanks for checking my page out & letting me know! If you click on the contact link there are a few ways to send pics if you have one.

Ýr says:

thank you so much for this. My son loves his new sweeter with tnmt on it.

F.P. Molina says:

Yay! I’m glad you stopped buy and made something for your son to enjoy!

nicole says:

Thank you for these charts, they’ll make a little boy very happy.

F.P. Molina says:

Awesome! Thanks for stopping by, let me know how the stitching goes!

Diana says:

This is super cute and I’m thinking this may be fun to make for my sister. How do I translate this to crocheting? I’m horrible at knitting!

F.P. Molina says:

Hello! Sorry for the late reply, it have been a wild few months. Yes, translating a knitting chart to crochet is all about getting the right sized stitch. I would recommend creating a few sample squares of different hook sizes and stitch sizes till you get as close to a 5×6 stitches to make a square as possible. Sometimes it also helps to work the chart from Bottom to top, instead of side to side, depending on the stitch you use. If you are trying to get exactly 5×6 a square inch, the size of your yarn will also effect the total size. Everyone’s stitches are slightly different depending on the style you work and the amount of tension you use. I hope this helps!

ALICE BELANGER says:

WOULD LOVE TOO HAVE THAT PATTEN CAUSE ONE OF MY GRANDSON LOVE THEM.HOW DO I GET IT.

F.P. Molina says:

If you click on the name below the image you want to stitch it will take you to Dropbox & click Download, then you can print it out.

Alysha says:

Thank you so much! My niece nearly named her son Michaelangelo and I want to put this on a sweater for him to wear next winter. Thankfully the little guy was renamed Michael Allen!

F.P. Molina says:

Awwww, that is so cute! Let me know how it turns out :)

Cindy Charter says:

Do you have a pattern for a 3d kind if ninja turtle? I saw a picture online but didn’t give the pattern

Danielle says:

I love these charts and would like to turn them into a twin size blanket for my sister in law who will be 18 in November. I have never tried a graphgan before but I knit and crochet. Which would you recommend? And how would I make the four turtles and the tmnt into a blanket wide enough for a twin size blanket? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Daniellr

F.P. Molina says:

Hello! First I’d like to thank you for stopping by and enjoying my charts :) as far as knitting vs crochet goes, I guess that depends on which you prefer. For some reason I always see afphgans more as crochet, but I think it is because I grew up with great aunts crochet aphgans everywhere. Also stitch size always makes a big difference in size. I know I hate making test swatches, but it is necessary to guace how big any colorwork project might be. Personally I would probably start with a double crochet, but reading the charts from the side because the stitches tend to be taller than wider. I hope this helps!

Tonya Owens says:

Thank You so much my grandson loves the Turtles so much, and I was just looking for a knitting pattern and came across your’s again Thank You.

F.P. Molina says:

Thank you so much, I’m glad you enjoy them!

Kathy Korroch says:

how do i download these charts ??

F.P. Molina says:

Click on the name of the chart (below the image) and it will take you to my Dropbox. Then click “Download”

Kathy Korroch says:

are these patterns for knitting or cross sticking and if for kniting what size needs are recommended

F.P. Molina says:

They are for knitting. They are in 5×6 blocks, so it depends on what size yarn and how much tension you stitch with. As with all knitting, you just have to make those dreaded test swatches. Personally I would start with 9s if I was using worsted weight & adjust my test swatches from there.

Nancy says:

Hi thanks for the pattern it’s great just a quick question? Can this be done as a C2C pattern? If so that would be awesome my grandson would love it

F.P. Molina says:

Thank you, I love hearing feedback! Yes, you can use and of the square block or cross stitch charts for C2C. As long as you calculate size you should be ok, so you don’t end up accidentally making a blanket for a giant. Just make sure you keep track of rows diagonally and you should be fine. Let me know how it turns out :)
Enjoy!